It is strawberry season. Are you hosting a brunch, BBQ or other get-together at your apartment in Mooresville, NC? If so here is a delicious, new Strawberry Cream Pie recipe. Or you can substitute blueberries if this is your 'berry of choice!'
Strawberry Cream Pie
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (9-oz.) package chocolate wafer cookies
- 1/2 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 qt. fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Whisk together first 3 ingredients and 2/3 cup sugar in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Whisk together half-and-half and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl; gradually add to cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl; cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse wafer cookies and chopped chocolate in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until finely crushed. Stir together cookie crumb mixture, melted butter, and remaining 1/3 cup sugar; firmly press mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- Spoon chilled half-and-half mixture into prepared crust. Cut 8 to 10 strawberries in half, and arrange around outer edge of pie (leaving tops on, if desired); hull and slice remaining strawberries, and arrange in center of pie.
- Cook jelly in a small saucepan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until melted. Remove from heat, and stir in liqueur. Brush jelly mixture gently over strawberries. Chill, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Recipe and image from Southern Living