It sure has been hot here in Mooresville, NC. With temperatures in the 90’s all week, the staff at Abberly Green would like to provide you with some tips from the American Red Cross on how to beat the heat:
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol. Eat small meals and eat more often.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Avoid dark colors because they absorb the sun’s rays.
- Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day. Postpone outdoor games and activities.
- Take frequent breaks if you must work outdoors, and use a buddy system when working in excessive heat.
- Check on family, friends and neighbors who spend a lot of time outdoors, who spend much of their time alone or who are more likely to be affected by the heat.
- Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles. Check on your animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat.