Hoppin' John Soup
Bestow good luck on New Year's Day with bowls of Hoppin' John Soup. Smoky flavor shoots through this good-for-you soup of peas and collards.
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 2 pounds smoked turkey wings
- 1/3 cup finely chopped country ham
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package fresh collard greens, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Hot cooked brown rice
- Cornbread Croutons
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Bring peas, turkey wings, and 6 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 45 minutes or until peas are tender, skimming any foam from surface. Drain peas, reserving 1 1/4 cups liquid. Remove turkey meat from bones. Chop meat.
- Sauté ham and next 7 ingredients in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas, reserved 1 1/4 cups liquid, turkey meat, collards, hot sauce, and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice with Cornbread Croutons and parsley.
Events in Mooresville
Majesty Rose Concert in Mooresville
January 2, 2016
6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Charles Mack Citizen Center, 215 N. Main Street, Mooresville 28115
$20 General Admission
$40 VIP with Meet & Greet
Reserve your seats early! American Idol finalist Majesty Rose in Concert!
Girls Night Out @ Give Back Boutique
January 14, 2016
5:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST
Give Back Boutique - 478 Williamson Road, Mooresville
Girls Night Out! Give Back Boutique - The Second Thursday of Every Month
Dates to Remember: January
January 1st – New Year’s Day
January 4th – Trivia Day
January 18th – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Abberly Green strives to make your apartment experience enjoyable. Tell us how we are doing!
Please take a moment to take our resident survey located under the Survey tab at www.liveabberlygreen.com.
Also you can visit us at www.apartmentratings.com to let others know how your experience has been as a resident of Abberly Green!